Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Egg Muffins

Last week's body image post has led to this one: even if I don't lose weight, I'll be damned if I'm not trying to eat healthfully.

Does that mean I didn't drink beer last weekend at the beer festival I worked at? Heck no. I had 3. 

I will share with you now the deliciousness that I just made for lunch. I've been eating more eggs- they're full of protein & all that. More accurately, I've been eating more egg whites. And I work at home, so I have occasion to mix stuff and bake it while I work. If you don't have that time, you could always spend a wee bit of time on the weekend & make some of these to reheat through the week.  Update: These are even better on day 2!

Also, if you're on weight watchers (again) these have 2 points each according to the new points plus (tm and all that). 

Thereby, I present to you: Egg Muffins!

  • 6 whole eggs- I used large. They were on sale, 2 doz. for a dollar at Food Lion. Yay!
  • 6 egg whites... let me give you a recommendation- separate the egg whites first. If you have any mistakes, you can just toss it in and count it toward the egg count. You probably already knew that, though. 
  • 1 Tablespoon flour- I don't know why, but I read that about it in a recipe at Polyface Farms website I guess it holds stuff together.
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1 cup feta cheese - I used reduced fat- if you use regular, make sure you account for it if you're watching that sort of thing.
  • 3/4ish cup cooked spinach which started out frozen
  • 1 tomato, chopped up
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Pop frozen spinach in microwave
  3. Whisk together the egg whites & eggs, milk, flour, salt & pepper.
  4. Cut up the tomato & mix in gently
  5. Allow the spinach to cool a bit & add that in
  6. Add in feta
  7. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray & pour in mixture
  8. Cook at 350 about 35-40 minutes!
  9. Eat your healthy AND delicious meal!
After I made these, I realized a few things....
  • Full-fat feta would probably work better. Either that, or more low-fat feta. Because more cheese always = more delicious.
  • Next time I'm probably going to cook up some turkey bacon and dice it up and put it in. Because mmm, bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment