Thursday, April 3, 2014

DIY Deodorant?

One of the funniest things about Pinterest is what gets repinned.
My top 2 pins are a t-shirt that says "Back 2 Back World War Champs" 
... and do it yourself deodorant. 

Off topic: ever have a word you can't spell right? Mine is deodorant. Thank glob for spell check. 

Here's the original link: http://greatist.com/health/DIY-Deodorant

And now here's how I did it: 
  1. Look up all the DIY deodorant recipes on the internet. Discover that the recipe that I linked to above says use cornstarch, but apparently that's bad. 
  2. Get ingredients: 
    • arrowroot powder was easy to find at the local hippie store. 
    • Find an essential oil that I like and that won't clash with the scent of coconut oil- I used sweet orange. 
    • I already had baking soda and coconut oil- I used Spectrum. 
  3. Use up a regular container of deodorant. Take out the little plastic thing that holds the deodorant inside and realize that in my particular brand (Secret) there are holes in the bottom. Wonder how exactly I will be filling said container with a liquid. 
  4. Determine that filling those holes with hot glue is a good idea. And it actually was a good idea! Tip: use wax paper underneath so you don't hot glue your base to something else. You just want to fill the holes. 
  5. Replace base in deodorant container. 
  6. Melt coconut oil, mix up ingredients.

    • 1/2 cup coconut oil (pre-melting)
    • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
    • 1/4 cup baking soda
    • 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon essential oil 

  7. Slowly pour into container
  8. Realize that I have too much left over, put some in fridge in a smallish tupperware container.
  9. Be skeptical. 
  10. Use deodorant- important note: this is not anti-perspirant. It's de-stinkifier. I shower at night after working out. That's when I use this stuff- I put it on after my shower, then again before going to sleep. In the morning, I go back to using my full-of-chemicals but beloved Secret. 
Results: 
  • It smells good.
  • It's greasy, but my pits are getting moisturized. I guess. 
  • I'm only using it at night and I don't care if I get damp pits then. 
  • I'm not stinky. 
  • It's a little gritty.
Judgement: I think I'm going to keep this up. 3 weeks in and no adverse effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment